Password protection for files using strong encryption for Windows Vista or later using the AES algorithm with 256-bit or 128-bit keys.
It combines strong symmetric encryption with compression and double-click editing/viewing.
Encrypted files have a '.AXX' extension added to their names, and are shown with a new icon.
To encrypt a file, right-click it in Windows Explorer and select 'AxCrypt | Encrypt'.
To edit or view an encrypted file - just double-click it.
To decrypt, right-click and select 'AxCrypt | Decrypt' instead.
No configuration is necessary. Run the installer, and AxCrypt is ready to use.
English, French, Spanish or Swedish will be used for messages and dialogues depending on the language of the system. Documentation and installation scripts are in English.
The following are features that really set it apart from other file encryption tools, commercial as well as free:
- Double-click to edit/view with any application, with automatic re-encryption when done.
- Integrated shredder.
- 4 languages in one executable distribution.
- No options or user interface - easy to install and use.
- Absolutely no configuration needed - just use it.
- Secure memory handling - no keys or data in the paging file
- Open source under GNU GPL.